Thursday, January 5, 2012

Unclog the Sink Now !

I read about this technique, then altered it, as I do most DIY projects, to suit my own needs. I can't believe how well it works, how cheap it is and how fast a solution to a slow draining sink!

To start with, I've had a slowwwww draining sink for .... oh, 6 months or so. Look, plumbing is not my forte' and I couldn't stand the thought of PAYING someone to unclog my kitchen sink. So I let it sit. And sit. And sit. Of course, the longer you try to use it, the more clogged it gets. After a period of time, it becomes an agitation and downright nuisance.

So I read the article, committed it to memory, and this morning after doing a major sink load of dishes and watching the dirty water just sit there eyeing me; I decided to try the method I read about.

The original "recipe" called for seltzer water or some such thing that I never have on hand and wouldn't think of picking up to unclog my sink so I substituted my old stand by: baking soda in vinegar. Now if you don't know: white vinegar and baking soda when mixed makes a volcanic reaction of epic proportion depending on quantities used.

It's always best to mix the concoction in a large container in case it does erupt. And yes, I knew that before I tried mixing 2 tbsp of B Soda in 3/4 C of vinegar and having it promptly spew foaming, bubbling white liquid over the side of the measuring cup and all over my counter top.

I digress.  As usual.

Anyway...... put 1-2 quarts of water on to boil.
Once water is boiling, mix 2 tbsp baking soda in 3/4 c of white vinegar in another container. Promptly pour this mixture directly in the drain to break up any clogs. After the fizzing stops, pour the boiling water directly into the drain. Pour it, don't dribble it in. Use the force of the boiling water in quantity which will further dissolve, and sweep away, the clog.

I've been running my water over and over just to watch it swirl down the drain. Yes, small things sometimes entertain the most but look at this picture...isn't it a thing of beauty? :-)

The moral of the story? Cheap, easy, fast......no plumber needed. Slow draining sinks are now a thing of my past. Let me know how it does for you (And if you already knew this remedy, don't burst my bubble. I'm still on a high from having it work!)  :-)





6 comments:

  1. My water is boiling right now. Can't wait to try this in my bathtub. It drains very slow... Will let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, mission accomplished! It worked like a charm! I wanted you to know that I used a measuring cup as the container to mix the vinegar and baking soda. Good thing I mixed them with the cup sitting in the bathtub. It immediately foamed over! I am doing this again in the bathroom sink but using a large plastic mixing bowl this time! Great tip, Shirley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving it a try Peg! I was so excited when I got it to work, it's actually comical! I'm going to do all the drains and speed 'em up before the day's over! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using this concoction to help clean my toilet bowl, but hadn't tried it on a plugged sink. Will give it a whirl there, Shirley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried the baking soda and vinegar on my toilet but my office has hard water so I might give that it a try there. Can't use the boiling water chaser in the cold climates though unless you want broken porcelain ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shirley, you keep me laughing just as always. Glad that worked for Peg and Pam as well and next time I'll know what to do. Maybe I won't have to tear out half my cabinet to fix the darn thing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me what's on your mind...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails